Skip to main content

Random thoughts about vacation and stuff...

I don't think I've been on a real vacation since I was a kid.

And even that was rare. 

My husband and I spent a long weekend away for our honeymoon.

A friend got us a night in a bed and breakfast and then we spent 2 days in Portland, Maine. Went to a record shop, ate at a Greek restaurant and went to a book store.

Since we've been married we've taken a  few trips to Salt Lake City, Utah to visit my mother in law.

That my dears was not a vacation.

Unless a week in hell with Satan herself is a vacation.

We'd be miserable the moment we got there and about ready to have ourselves volentarily committed when we returned. I am not even exagerating.

We have spent a nice few days camping with the kids. That's a vacation. Except we're so friggin poor that we'd worry about having enough gas money to get home, we'd wonder how we were going to pay the entrance fee into the National Park. We'd worry if we'd have enough food for the kids and enough money for the camp fire wood...but other than that it was fun.

This year my husband and his closest dearest friends from high school turned 50.

My husband and his friends are all born in a two week period spanning the end of July and into the first week of August.

My husband's good friend who has done well working in the computer industry on the west coast invited Brad to a big birthday party at his home in Hood River, Oregon.

If we can't afford the entrance fee to Acadia National Park in Maine, there is no way we can afford to fly Brad out to the west coast for a birthday party.

And his friend said, don't worry about it Brad. I'll get you all out here.

And so, we went.

And it was the most wonderful 10 days ever.

EVER.


Harry's birthday party was a blast.

No cheese curls and macaroni salad but other than that, it was grand. And despite the fact that I am a pudgy gal with bad hair and cheap clothes and I work sporadically cleaning toilets, these successful folks were kind, didn't treat me like a dumb ass. There were wealthy people dressed in gorgeous clothes, there were wealthy folks wearing gym socks sandles and shorts. There were not rich folks hanging out and ultimately you couldn't tell who was who.

It dawned on me. These successful folks are mostly nerds who have made their money with their big brains. Nerds are not often known for their fashion choices.

People don't seem to make the same assumptions about one another out there.

I can't imagine showing up at a catered shindig here in Maine and not feeling completely out of place. Many people in Maine who have wealth are old money, trust fund kids, or they own a landfill and build big ugly houses and hang tight to the class structure with an I made it big and now I'm the top of the heap attitude.

An exception would of course be Stephen and Tabitha King, but that's not where I'm going with my little story.

Class issues here in Maine are difficult.

You either come from the right family or you don't.

There aren't many places a smart kid can go here in Maine and make a good living using their super nerd skills.



Going west was a nice chance to spend time with Brad's wonderful friends, but it was also an opportunity to see my oldest brother whom I haven't seen in almost 20 years.

My brother recently married and I would be meeting my sister-in-law for the first time and I was pretty excited.

My brother and sister in law took us on a drive to see the Pacific Ocean and it was wonderful in every way.

There were caves and trails to explore and anemones and star fish and what seemed like miles of soft white sand that squeaked like January snow underfoot.

We had a great time and my kids enjoyed their Uncle Jack and Aunt Onie and the feelings were mutual. 

No baggage, no judging, but a healthy kids will be kids approach to my quirky children.

And I was grateful.

With Uncle Jack and Aunt Onie we headed off into a trendy neighborhood in Portland known as the Alphabet District, cafes, up scale boutiques..

I was ready to be eyeballed by the staff of these little shops, the usual greeting one seems to get in sheeshee establishments in Maine, the look, "Can you afford to buy anything here? I think not."

But no.

Into Gooran Brother's hat shop.

These hats are gorgeous and fucking expensive.

In Maine we would have been followed around the store by an imperious vulture of a sales clerk, but there the staff were chatty and personable and didn't wince when the kids tried on hats.

The soap shop staff washed our arms and applied pricy lotions and didn't seem put out when we didn't buy anything. Being from New England where we don't touch loved ones in public much less strangers, this physical contact with the young staff at the soap place left me speechless.And it didn't seem weird. Hey, let's have your arm. You've got to try this stuff...


The thing I noticed on our vacation is that people just don't look at each other funny out west like they do here.

Gym socks loafers and shorts? Cool.

Greased handle bar mustache and fedora? Cool.

Transsexual coffee house waitress? Cool.

Chatty little boy making fart jokes in a fancy restaurant? Cool.


My daughter wore bright pink shorts, a bright blue t-shirt, green and grey knee high socks, sport sandles, and a beautiful white straw cloche hat, a gift from Uncle Jack and Aunt Onie.

Here in Maine, she'd have gotten stared at, she'd have gotten side long glances and smirky smirks.

Not in Portland, Oregon.

Not one judgematal look, not one snicker. NOT ONE.



And if you think Maine is a beautiful place you should go take a look at western Oregon.
 
Everywhere you look it's gorgeous.

The beaches in Hood River are free and open to the public.

The beaches on the coast are free and open to the public.
 
Start from Portland, head west drive an hour and 1/2 and you're running along the beautiful sandy beaches of the Pacific Ocean.

Starting in Portland, head East and you come to the breathtaking Multanoma falls, drive a little further and in less than an hour you are on the shores of the Hood River.
 
You can swim, you can kayak, wind surf, kite board, paddle board or just sit on a rock and take it all in.

While we were there the temps were often in the high 90s. But there was no humidity, so while the locals were talking about being uncomfortable in the heat I, some one who detests summer weather and hot sunny days, I was thinking, gosh, this is pretty nice.

You get hot you sweat, the breeze blows, you feel cooler.

Here in Maine, you get hot, you sweat, the humidity is 80% there is no breeze, you feel greasy and sticky and hate everybody.

Coming back to Maine is depressing.

It's stifling here.

Things feel stagnant and cramped and bleak.

There is a down side to a great vacation.

It's called going home.

Comments

Paul Pickering said…
You have stood on the mountain and seen a new world. What does it mean? Time will tell.

Popular posts from this blog

Just don't call me Late to Dinner

A friend recently asked if I was ever called Maggie or if I'd always been a Margaret. That got me thinking about my name. I hate my name.  Hate it. I have never liked my name. It seems fine to call other people Margaret. It sounds agreeable enough when I say hello to another Margaret. "Hello, Margaret!" I might say. And the name doesn't offend me. It doesn't make me recoil or wretch. It's just a name. And a fine name at that. But it's not for me. I don't feel like a Margaret. It doesn't fit me well.  Hangs off me all funny and weird. Can't ever seem to wear it comfortably. I don't like to be called by name. Frankly, it makes me feel sort of sick.  When I was a chubby 3rd grader I decided I wanted to go by a nickname.   Peggy. I wrote it in my clumsy curly cursive on the front inside cover of my books.   I said it out loud to myself in the mirror. Peggy. Peggy! I liked it. First of all Peg

Inspired by Louise Gluck, a Poem about the Heavens

a poem by Louise Gluck  Under Taurus We were on the pier, you desiring that I see the Pleiades. I could see everything but what you wished.  Now I will follow. There is not a single cloud; the stars appear even the invisible sister. Show me where to look,  as though they will stay where they are. Instruct me in the dark.  Isn't that beautiful? That to me is just perfect.  Isn't that perfect? Everything just comes together. Perfect.  Of course, I feel inspired. Under Uranus... easy fishing, that. Low hanging fruit. But can you blame me? I know Uranus isn't a constellation, but it is a heavenly body, so I let it stand.  "Of course,  you 'll have to  know  exactly where to  look  for it. Barely visible by a keen naked eye on very dark, clear nights... Uranus  is...visible during the evening hours among the stars of Pisces, the Fishes."   https://www.space.com/22983-see-planet-uranus-night-sky.html

Thinking about my son, jail, near death experiences, and hoping for the future

It's disconcerting when your 9 year old son asks if there are any jails in town that he could tour. My first thought, naturally enough, was that my son was planning a life of crime and wanted to see where he'd be spending 5-8 years of his life. But then I took comfort in the realization that my son is a dear darling boy who absolutely can not think past this moment. THIS moment. THIS MOMENT. He is the boy who tried to pick up fire, the boy who tried to put the knife in the toaster, the boy who ate his entire chocolate Advent calender in one sitting, never contemplating for a second what would happen next. The look of surprise and hurt after the touching fire thing was heart breaking. He was utterly disconsolate on December 2nd when he found he had no more candy and would have to watch his sister eat her stale misshapen chocolate stockings, stars, and bells, one each morning, for 24 days, in front of his very eyes. He was completely dumbfounded not not just a lit