Skip to main content

April

April

I walk through the rundown neighborhood to the rundown neighborhood market to buy a bottle of soy sauce.

Soy sauce for the dinner I was preparing to make.

Because I forgot to buy it earlier when I was at the grocery store.

Earlier, when the sun was warm and bright and the dirty snow shone with drops of water held suspended for a shimmer of a moment only to fall and be replaced by another quivering globe of bright shimmering melting.

But now, it's later.

I walk past dirty snowbanks, refrozen.

Dirty puddles filmed with ice.

Old bags and discarded papers catch in the wind like tails or wings.

The gray pink early spring sky that earlier had offered warmth like a kindness
cools as the sun slides smoothly away like the well manicured regretful wave of a newly wed princess leaving the balcony and the adoring crowds below.

Inside the dirty little store, smells sweet, oily, smells of boiled coffee. Stale cigarette vapors off the jacket of a slight man, plegmy, coughing into the beer cooler.

The cracked linoleum shows planks beneath, the floor sighs quietly with every shift every step.

Single rolls of toilet paper wrapped in white tissue paper, beer, in bottles in cans, powdered doughnuts in windowed boxes, canned cat food, Cream of Wheat, Vienna Sausages in their flip-top can, boxed macaroni and cheese that rattle like maracas if you shake them which I don't, long loaves of cheap white bread, small jars of peanut butter, cellophaned bricks of Ramen noodles, and a there, on the top shelf, a dusty bottle of soy sauce.

I think, they probably don't sell much soy sauce here.
I wonder, how long has this bottle of soy sauce has been on the shelf?
I worry, what about an expiration date, has it gone past?

I remind myself; fermentation.

The date doesn't really matter.

Some things keep.

The woman behind the counter sighs.

She jokes, “Is it Friday yet?”

I say, “Almost.”

She asks, “Would you like a bag?”

I say, “Yes. Please.”

The idea of walking down the street with a bottle of soy sauce unbagged seems strange to me.

I grip the brown paper wrapped bottle by the neck.

I think, this is an odd bird,

I think, I'm a weird wino with my brown bagged bottle of soy sauce.

A sensible drunk man, gray and thin,

a case of Pabst under his arm, holds the door for me.

He takes the worn wooden

stairs with a certain gravitas,

one worn boot

at a time

with a pause to make sure his footing is sure and true against the tilt and whirl of the Earth spinning.

He says, “It's about time.”

Being from around here I know he means, Spring.

I say, “Yes. It's about time.”

The drunk man, oddly graceful, leans over the curb into the wind

and across the street and for some reason he reminds me of a ship.

I walk home, gracelessly sober, heavy on my feet,

thinking about the word “wino”--

understanding the impulse to drink oneself into grace.

The wind picks up, cold, blowing grit into my eyes.

Walking up the drive, squinting, light from the old milk-glass lamp through the white lace curtains makes me nostalgic for a thing I haven't yet lost

or haven't yet found

or have but misplaced

I can't be sure

I don't remember

it doesn't matter.

In through the back door, into the yellow kitchen, I shuck my black wool coat,

hang it on a peg on the wall

unwind my scarf from my neck like unbinding and hang it with my coat.

I pour red wine, Malbec if you want to know, into my favorite glass, a small Ball jar once filled with jelly made by a friend in a hot kitchen from berries fresh picked by her own hands, berries still warm from the summer sun when they were poured from an enamel colander into a heavy stainless steel pot with cupfuls of white sugar like white sand.

I think this every time I pour myself a glass of wine, if my wine glass jelly jar is dirty and I choose another glass instead of washing,

the absence of the jar reminds me of the jar.

The wine tastes like an attic, July, warm wood, sour berries, sunshine, dust motes, old books.

I think, this wine is a good wine made from good grapes ripened in a warm place by a warm sun

a place where spring comes at a reasonable hour and lingers late on the veranda

with drinks after dinner.

I start the rice.

I slice tofu for my daughter and beef for my boy, I put them in separate bowls.

I pour long streams of soy sauce into each bowl, add thin slices of pithy ginger to each, crush four garlic cloves with the flat of the knife blade -- two for each

add a splash of balsamic vinegar, red peppers, yellow peppers, broccoli.

In the next room the children argue.

They are hungry I think.
as I stir the frying food.

Yes.

Dinner is late.

We three sit at the scarred wooden table, we laugh and then set to arguing and then careen to laughter as quickly as the melting spring turned back to winter.

We all agree between mouthfuls

that this soy sauce is

the best.

My son says this with the fervor and zeal of a new convert,

he proclaims with his mouth full, rice falls, sticks to his shirt and chin,

somehow he manages to spit rice on the dog, the sticky rice adheres to the long black fur; the dog is not bothered.

My son says, forgetting to buy soy sauce at the grocery store was a kind of lucky. Without forgetting there wouldn't be this

The Best Soy Sauce.

We wouldn't have known.

We never would have known.

Lucky forgetting.

I think, Yes.

He's right.

I tell him so.

I clear the table, leave the greasy plates and bowls spoons and forks, glasses with the lip and finger prints, on the counter next to the sink, for later.

I think, the dishes, they're not going anywhere, what's the hurry.

I think, they'll keep.

My daughter hums a melody that I can't place.

Looking out through the window I see my own face,

the wind blows last year's fall leaves against the screens, sounds like June bugs.

I pull on my gray sweater, I think about starting the furnace.

My son laughs and tries to pick the rice from the dog's long black fur. The dog is not bothered.

I think, forgetting is a kind of luck,

I think,

some things keep --

I think, there is proof of time passing and proof of time held suspended in a drop.

I think --

some things keep

like summer fruit or soy sauce.

They keep

they keep


they keep

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just don't call me Late to Dinner

A friend recently asked if I was ever called Maggie or if I'd always been a Margaret. That got me thinking about my name. I hate my name.  Hate it. I have never liked my name. It seems fine to call other people Margaret. It sounds agreeable enough when I say hello to another Margaret. "Hello, Margaret!" I might say. And the name doesn't offend me. It doesn't make me recoil or wretch. It's just a name. And a fine name at that. But it's not for me. I don't feel like a Margaret. It doesn't fit me well.  Hangs off me all funny and weird. Can't ever seem to wear it comfortably. I don't like to be called by name. Frankly, it makes me feel sort of sick.  When I was a chubby 3rd grader I decided I wanted to go by a nickname.   Peggy. I wrote it in my clumsy curly cursive on the front inside cover of my books.   I said it out loud to myself in the mirror. Peggy. Peggy! I liked it. First of all Peg

Thinking about my son, jail, near death experiences, and hoping for the future

It's disconcerting when your 9 year old son asks if there are any jails in town that he could tour. My first thought, naturally enough, was that my son was planning a life of crime and wanted to see where he'd be spending 5-8 years of his life. But then I took comfort in the realization that my son is a dear darling boy who absolutely can not think past this moment. THIS moment. THIS MOMENT. He is the boy who tried to pick up fire, the boy who tried to put the knife in the toaster, the boy who ate his entire chocolate Advent calender in one sitting, never contemplating for a second what would happen next. The look of surprise and hurt after the touching fire thing was heart breaking. He was utterly disconsolate on December 2nd when he found he had no more candy and would have to watch his sister eat her stale misshapen chocolate stockings, stars, and bells, one each morning, for 24 days, in front of his very eyes. He was completely dumbfounded not not just a lit

Inspired by Louise Gluck, a Poem about the Heavens

a poem by Louise Gluck  Under Taurus We were on the pier, you desiring that I see the Pleiades. I could see everything but what you wished.  Now I will follow. There is not a single cloud; the stars appear even the invisible sister. Show me where to look,  as though they will stay where they are. Instruct me in the dark.  Isn't that beautiful? That to me is just perfect.  Isn't that perfect? Everything just comes together. Perfect.  Of course, I feel inspired. Under Uranus... easy fishing, that. Low hanging fruit. But can you blame me? I know Uranus isn't a constellation, but it is a heavenly body, so I let it stand.  "Of course,  you 'll have to  know  exactly where to  look  for it. Barely visible by a keen naked eye on very dark, clear nights... Uranus  is...visible during the evening hours among the stars of Pisces, the Fishes."   https://www.space.com/22983-see-planet-uranus-night-sky.html