Skip to main content

Just because the Shoe Fits Doesn't Mean You Should Wear It


My son is the proud owner of some excellent new shoes: red Converse high tops. 

I confess I have wanted a pair of Converse sneakers for a long time. I wore them when I was a teenager and I loved them even though they made my feet look freakishly long and I tripped over the toes. Actually those may be the very reasons I  loved them. 

I nearly bought a pair this winter but decided to wait until spring, choosing to purchase a pair of more practical mom shoes, sort of "dress up" shoes, footwear better suited for the weather and attending meetings with professional people who had the bizarre opinion that I should comport myself like an adult woman. 

But during some late night insomnia fueled internet searches, I found myself on the Converse web site and enjoyed playing around with their custom shoe design feature. I designed a pair of kick ass shoes, all black and red with some other cool embellishments to set them apart, to make them my very own, not the least of  which was having the word "left" embroidered on BOTH shoes, in small script on the back. Yeah, that's me. 

But I did not feel like shelling out the $75 right before Christmas so I bookmarked the page, fully intending to buy my custom high tops, my dream shoes, my perfectly nerdy fabulous me shoes, in the spring.  

This spring. 

If I haven't made it clear I was very excited about owning a pair of Converse high tops and I was planning to buy a pair this spring...like you know, now. 

Because it's spring. 

So back to not me, my son, he has a pair of excellent red Converse high tops, he picked them out at the shoe store and he feels cool, so so cool. He is naturally cool anyway but his footwear just highlights the cool for those too blind to recognize cool when it's not wearing Chuck Taylor Converse High fucking Top sneakers.

I started wondering if I should buy my custom sneakers, you know, because some kids might find it weird or uncomfortable if their mom had a pair of shoes so similar to their own and a 10 year old boy's ego is a fragile thing. So I asked my son if he would mind if I bought my own high tops, not the same color, of course. He looked at me earnestly and said, "I'm sorry Mom, but, you know, uh...no offense Mom, but I would rather you didn't." I told him I understood and I was completely okay with that and would respect his wishes. I thanked him for being honest, gave him a hug, and we went on with our lives. 

You know, I'm not totally okay with having to put aside my childish desire for awesome shoes. As parents we put aside and make sacrifices all the time and while that's how it's supposed to be I won't pretend that I always make the sacrifices with a happy heart. My kids don't need to know that, but that's the truth. 

It occurred to me recently though, that one of the unspoken and ugly responsibilities of parenthood is embodying the uncool. Our children need to reject us on some level in order to become autonomous, to become fully themselves and so we need to make ourselves reject-able. We need to be reject-able  and we need to do this with a loving heart. Wear the stupid shoes and rejoice! 

One day it'll be my day to get spiffy in my cool shoes. One day. 

In the meantime I'll go shopping for shoes for myself and I'll pick out a pair of appropriately dorky mom sneakers. I'll do it for my boy. I won't be offended when he says something like, "No offense Mom, but I think your new shoes are sort of ugly. I mean that in a not mean way, you know, right Mom?" And I'll say something like, Yes son, yes yes, I know, no offense taken I love you you darling sweet darling and I'll grab him and kiss his little face all over with big loud mom kisses, embarrassing him to no end, and he'll try to get out of my grasp but I'll get one more good noisy smack in before I let him go. And then I'll probably sing and dance in public, you know just for good measure. 

For Every Season  (turn turn turn), 
There is a Sneaker (turn turn turn), 
And a time for  every mother  to know when she can wear the cool shoes she wants, and that time is not now, Mom.

Isn't that how the song goes? Pretty much?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just don't call me Late to Dinner

A friend recently asked if I was ever called Maggie or if I'd always been a Margaret. That got me thinking about my name. I hate my name.  Hate it. I have never liked my name. It seems fine to call other people Margaret. It sounds agreeable enough when I say hello to another Margaret. "Hello, Margaret!" I might say. And the name doesn't offend me. It doesn't make me recoil or wretch. It's just a name. And a fine name at that. But it's not for me. I don't feel like a Margaret. It doesn't fit me well.  Hangs off me all funny and weird. Can't ever seem to wear it comfortably. I don't like to be called by name. Frankly, it makes me feel sort of sick.  When I was a chubby 3rd grader I decided I wanted to go by a nickname.   Peggy. I wrote it in my clumsy curly cursive on the front inside cover of my books.   I said it out loud to myself in the mirror. Peggy. Peggy! I liked it. First of all Peg

Thinking about my son, jail, near death experiences, and hoping for the future

It's disconcerting when your 9 year old son asks if there are any jails in town that he could tour. My first thought, naturally enough, was that my son was planning a life of crime and wanted to see where he'd be spending 5-8 years of his life. But then I took comfort in the realization that my son is a dear darling boy who absolutely can not think past this moment. THIS moment. THIS MOMENT. He is the boy who tried to pick up fire, the boy who tried to put the knife in the toaster, the boy who ate his entire chocolate Advent calender in one sitting, never contemplating for a second what would happen next. The look of surprise and hurt after the touching fire thing was heart breaking. He was utterly disconsolate on December 2nd when he found he had no more candy and would have to watch his sister eat her stale misshapen chocolate stockings, stars, and bells, one each morning, for 24 days, in front of his very eyes. He was completely dumbfounded not not just a lit

Inspired by Louise Gluck, a Poem about the Heavens

a poem by Louise Gluck  Under Taurus We were on the pier, you desiring that I see the Pleiades. I could see everything but what you wished.  Now I will follow. There is not a single cloud; the stars appear even the invisible sister. Show me where to look,  as though they will stay where they are. Instruct me in the dark.  Isn't that beautiful? That to me is just perfect.  Isn't that perfect? Everything just comes together. Perfect.  Of course, I feel inspired. Under Uranus... easy fishing, that. Low hanging fruit. But can you blame me? I know Uranus isn't a constellation, but it is a heavenly body, so I let it stand.  "Of course,  you 'll have to  know  exactly where to  look  for it. Barely visible by a keen naked eye on very dark, clear nights... Uranus  is...visible during the evening hours among the stars of Pisces, the Fishes."   https://www.space.com/22983-see-planet-uranus-night-sky.html